There are certain questions that inevitably strike fear into the heart of anyone being asked them in the context of a marriage or romantic relationship.
No matter how many cute, sweet and romantic things you find to say to your boyfriend or girlfriend on a regular basis, when you’re hit with one of these humdingers out of the blue, knowing what to say and how to say say it can be absolutely mind-boggling.
One such question is inevitable, “Does this make me look fat?” posed just as you’re heading out the door to a big event.
That one is relatively easy to navigate, of course. The answer is always, and forever, a resounding, “NO! Of course, not. You look amazing.”
But when your boyfriend or girlfriend asks, “Why do you love me?”, it can understandably reduce even the most self-assured men and women among us into a deer in the headlights as you watch the entire life of your relationship pass before your eyes.
At this point, almost any answer could potentially save the relationship. But first, take a deep breath and collect yourself.
Recognize the real reason the man or woman you love is asking you this specific question: “Why do you love me?”
It’s likely they are feeling insecure about your relationship, and, even more likely, that they are feeling deeply insecure about themselves.
Look them in the eye and, if possible, hold them in one of those close hugs that tells a fellow human being they are not alone. That they can count on you. That you’ve got their back.
Then, tell them all the wonderful things you know and feel are lovable about them.
To help keep you light on your toes in case you’re caught off-guard, here are 12 sweet things to say to your boyfriend or girlfriend when they ask, “Why do you love me?”
1. I love you because you are you. You’re not like anyone else, and you are brave and strong and willing to be you. That inspires me.
2. You are like sunshine itself, and I feel better when I’m with you.
3. I love how I feel when I’m with you.
4. You accept me for me. I don’t have to hide. You let me be myself, and I thank you for that. It’s amazing to be loved by you.
5. You make me feel more alive than anyone ever has.
6. You make me want to be a better person.
7. You teach me how to be a better partner. You encourage me, support me and let me know how I can best support you.
8. You complete me. Before I met you, I never felt whole. With you in my life, I am.
9. I love you for your passion for life. It’s contagious.
10. You make me feel strong.
11. I love your heart. The world is better for having you in it. And I’m lucky I get to call you my love.
12. You. Me. We’re GOOD together.
Now you know why they asked the question, and that it’s less about why you love them and more about them needing to receive validation that they are lovable.