Home » » HND And Third Class Students Can Study And Work In USA, Canada And Europe

HND And Third Class Students Can Study And Work In USA, Canada And Europe

Will I get MSc Admission Abroad with HND or 3rd Class?

Though it is quite difficult to get universities that accepts HND and Third-class for direct admission to master’s degree program, but if well researched you will realize that there are schools in different parts of the world that offers direct master’s degree admission to HND and Third Class holders.

In UK, some institutions may grant you direct admission with HND, while some will ask you to do a Pre-Masters or Post Graduate Diploma to proceed to a Masters.

As For US, According to Dr. Farooq Kperogi a professor, author, and blogger based in the USA, he indicated on his blog that HND is treated almost exactly like a bachelor’s degree in the US.

An Associate degree is an undergraduate academic degree awarded by colleges and universities upon completion of a course of study lasting two years. It's less than a BSc, it’s in my opinion the equivalent of OND, from all readings. While your HND is treated almost exactly like a bachelor’s degree, your OND is equivalent to what they call Associate degree.

Because US universities are likely to place a lot more emphasis on your GMAT/GRE scores, you are most likely to get admission into a Masters if you have an HND PLUS High GMAT/GRE scores. In the US, as an HND holder your chances are better with a High GMAT/GRE score than that of a 2.1 Student with low GMAT/GRE. Depending on the institution, I might add.

For Canada, as of the time of this article, their institutions do not accept HND nor Third Class directly into Master’s program. But the good news is, you can use your HND or 3rd Class BSc to gain admission into a post-graduate diploma, post-degree certificate or an advanced certificate program and then progress unto a Masters after completion.

As an HND or 3rd Class Bsc Holder, you can also pursue a BSc in Canada. If you choose this option, some courses can be waived for you, so that you only spend about 2-3 years to gain your Bsc in Canada.

The Second Million Naira Question is:

Must I write a TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT, GRE etc.?

Most of the institutions we refer you to will exempt you from TOEFL/IELTS. Some will also exempt you from GMAT/GRE. However, if you want to keep your chances of admission wide open so you have more choices and offers, then it's best for you to write the TOEFL/IELTS and GMAT/GRE Exams. These exams are usually valid for presentation to your chosen institution of learning for up to 2 years.

The 3rd and Final Question is about Age

Question like – I am over 40 years old, can I apply for a Post Graduate Diploma in Canada? Or put in another way, I am over 40 years old, will I get a student visa to study a Post Graduate Diploma in Canada?

Again, it depends.

On the surface, there appears to be nothing on the embassy websites indicating age restrictions on study permits in Canada other than you need to be 18 to apply or else your parents/guardian need to apply for you.

However, applications from individuals approaching 30 to 40 and above could be subject to additional scrutiny to ensure that you will fulfill the requirement to leave the country when your study permit expires.

The point is, you will be required to submit convincing evidence that will strengthen your application if there is any gap after your last study. You'll have to submit exhaustive evidence of what you have done during the gap period up to the present.

Because, let's face it. At 30 approaching 40 or above, you have some sort of background, education, have done some sort of work, and have some history pertaining to education, work, means of income etc. So the question would be – Why now? Why are you returning to school now and why have you chosen the course you want to study?

If you continued your studies but have not graduated, were employed, or did some sort of charity, or travelled or were involved in self education etc, your need to provide STRONG and CONVINCING evidence to support your application for a study permit. These include (transcripts, letter of appointment, letter from employer, pay slips, ID cards, photographs, receipts etc)

Below is a chart, you can use in making decisions about your length of study and entry requirements into programs offered by institutions in Canada, it's by no means exhaustive, but should give you an idea of what to expect when applying.

Decision Chart: Canada Program Lengths and Entry Requirement

* Certificate 1 year program – OND/HND
* Diploma 2 year program – HND
* Advanced Diploma 3 year program – HND
* Degree 4 year program – WAEC
* Post-Graduate studies 1 year program – 3rd, 2nd Class
* Master 2 year program – 2.1
* Doctoral 3 – 4 year program – Masters, 2.1

Study Work Permits
When you get your admission and study permit with your HND/3rd Class, as a student, you are entitled to work for 20 hours per week during academic session but you can work as much as you want during holidays.

Post-Study Work Permit
You will be entitled to a 1 year working permit in Canada after completing one academic year program or a 3 year work permit after you have completed a 2 year or more academic program in Canada.

Residence Permit
You can also apply for a residence permit after you have completed 12 months of full time work in professional or skilled job. You'll do well to consult the Canadian Official website for more information on this.

Other Cheaper Options in Europe

If you cannot afford the tuition fees being charged in Canada and USA, we have good universities in Europe that charges affordable tuition. The universities offer direct masters degree admission to HND and Third Class Students and their tuition fee is around $1500 to $2000 per semester. Once you are done with your masters degree.



Post a Comment